<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Things are better, but still insane. Visited my father's grave on Memorial Day and again, I am very much humbled.

Ended up in major discussion with UNLV and things are smoothed over. It really is tough having a close friendship such as ours, and have it long distance. So he went to Havasu, and I helped my mom complete the living room. It's times like that when we both realize how much we really care about each other, and sometimes its easy to misplace that love for each other. We have had a rocky friendship, and we are finally making it stable by going through what we go through. It's hard to see it, but it's there.

By the by...the house is FABULOUS.

I am in love with my house. We still have lots of elements of when my dad was alive, but it's so nice how differently it's arranged. I know my mom feels better about it, because it was just so hard for her to walk in the same places that my dad did and not have memories flood over her.

Over all, my mom is worried that people will wonder why she so drastically changed the house. I explained that she need not worry about what other people think. We live there, we have decided to re-invest in our home, and we need to be comfortable in our home. We have not forgotten our father or her husband, and are paying homage to him with the new remodel. He is forever in our hearts and the love we have for him is reflected in the way the new place is decorated.

The living room (which I affectionately refer to as "The Great Room" as if our house was thousands of square feet with dozens of rooms) is like a catalog, yet is very cozy. I have created it as a space where it looks like the person who lives there is well travelled and well read. Since my dad did travel while in the Navy, there are lots of things from all over the world. Before, it was more functional and practical, rather than a room for reflection and comfort. Now, it is a very cozy showcase. I feel it's very inviting, yet beautiful.

You know those great rooms where the furniture is so Victorian and too pretty to want to disturb...I didn't want that room to be like that. I wanted it to look warm and inviting, yet grand visually stunning.

My mom and I have to live in the house for the rest of our lives. The way the house was before just broke my heart. I could picture where my dad used to sit in the living room when I would come home to visit. I could picture the computer and the piano and see my dad sitting there watching wrestling, or a westernm, or the news. I picture him in his maroon sweatsuit, and I would say "Hi dad!" and he would say hi, I'd kiss him hello and go to the family room to sit with my mom. My dad would either stay there or come hang out, too and we'd talk the way we would always talk.

Even now, I find it hard to type about it because the memory is so vivid. The memory is strong and if I had to continue to live like that, I don't think my mother and I could do it.

The kitchen is so different from the living room. The kitchen is very functional. It's lighter, brighter and very roomy. It's very industrial looking, and very "Ikea" where the living room is more "Pottery Barn" or "Restoration Hardware". We've got some very retro looking appliances and decorations. It's a perfect meld of our tastes.

My mom has definitely allowed me to have my say so, but I was very surprised at how much her taste as evolved. She has come home with bits and pieces that have matched very well with what I had in mind. We can go shopping and I'll bring up an idea, and she'll love it.

The only problem is that our house is not baby or kid proof...which will pose a problem

OH...have I not mentioned the good news? I don't think I have...but I'm sure a lot of you already know.

My sister is pregnant, and I'm going to be an AUNTIE!

If only my dad were alive to share in the joy, but I know he is smiling wherever he is.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?