<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Here's something cool that happened to me today!

One of my co-workers is the daughter of Leroy Jones, who was a defensive end during the Air Coryell days of the San Diego Chargers. I've often said to people that was one of the best games I ever saw because it went into overtime.

Well, it took me but a minute to realize that my friend's daddy was THE guy who blocked the Miami field goal in over-time, which allowed the Chargers to get the ball back and score the winning field goal. It was a rollercoaster of a game, and my Chargers won 41-38.

SO, while gushing to my friend about it...she CALLED HER DAD TODAY, and I got to speak to LEROY JONES on the phone. I was so nervous and excited to tell him that he played in one of the most exciting games I had EVER seen in my life. I had seen Louie Keltcher and Rolf Benirschke when they spoke at my school when I was in junior high, but I never got to actually speak to a Charger player LIVE before.

This just goes to show you the depth of my Charger fandom. That game in Miami was in 1981...I was only 11 years old, and I remember that game. Kellen Winslow was my hero. He already blocked a field goal and then went on to play no matter how tired he was.

These are times I wish my daddy was still around. He would have been so excited because our whole family watched that game on TV.

Here's a summary of that game, for anyone interested:

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=331

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?