<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, September 02, 2004

So Ten is going through what many of us go through as we are in the midst of our late 20's and approaching 30. I've gone through it, and I periodically still go through it, but it's not as pronounced as it once was.

We are at the age where we have a lot of friends in relationships, and it's mostly people who are married or about to be married. There was a time where I used to be so wrapped up in not being in a relationship, that when I was in a dating situation...I kept trying to make it more than it was, and ultimately ruining it. I can say with a certain degree of confidence that I lacked the security back then of allowing a relationship to breathe a little before diving in too deep.

I truly empathize with Ten. I know EXACTLY what she's going through because you just totally believe that at a certain age you should be married with children. When I surpassed 26 (the age my mom was married), I had hope in my heart that I would be meeting Mr. Right any day now and that I would be happlily married with my 2.5 children, white pickett fence, dog, cat and a house in the 'burbs.

Yeah, not so much.

I have finally come to grips with the fact that I'm 30 something and living the "Sex and The City" lifestyle. I don't have a serious relationship, and I don't desire one right now. I have my friends...even one that I used to date as one of my best male friends, and that's alright with me right now. I'm travelling, shopping, enjoying concerts and other cultural events, I have a great family and great friends, and life is fun.

My sister is married. But I don't want to get married before I have the things in place that need to be in place. I will have my own condo either by the end of this year or early next year. I already own my car, and I want to purchase another one, or trade this one in (actually, UNLV's mom wants to buy my car for her brother).

Althought I mostly likely could get married, I feel I just haven't met that ONE that would make me want to settle down (well, I might have met him, but who knows about THAT...).

Besides, I think I'm afraid to walk down the aisle because I don't have a father to give me away. I can't think about that right now. It breaks my heart to think about that, and it makes me fear the whole marriage concept. I know I could have my uncle give me away, but ouch.

I know Ten will get past this phase. And I know that all of us go through it and it's ok.

She'll be ok, because I am :)


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?