<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, July 16, 2004

Last night was the performance of a band called Jacob's Loc.  Who's Jacob and why does he have a loc, you ask?  Anyone who knows me knows that I used to run an O-Town fan site.  Yes, yes...it's all true.  I have been a boy band junkie for awhile.  NKOTB and the like, you know.
 
So I had this fan site called Destination O-Town.  Remember O-Town from "Making The Band" on ABC?  Yeah, them.  I had the idea after having a club on Yahoo and it grew from there.  I ran it with just one other girl, then I had several people join, including my sister.  It became this phenomenon within the O-Town community, and soon the band, their families, and their management all knew us.  We got to meet the band every show backstage, and the DCrew staff (my staff) even had fans.  It was a crazy time.  I knew a lot of people and went to a lot of shows.
 
I knew I wasn't going to be running this site for very long because of the shelf life of boy bands.  I predicted about 2 years max for this band, and I was mostly right.  I think they went for about 3 and after their 2nd album, they decided to call it quits.  I ended my site right when the new album was breaking. 
 
Why you ask?  I had a vision for my site to be the best run and most informative fan site out there.  I wanted it to be confused with the official site, and it often was.  We had reviews in music magazines, I was interviewed quite a bit, people were soliciting us for advertising space and giving me free stuff in return.  I worked with MTV, ABC, J-Records, and O-Town's official fan club (which was also *Nsync's fan club management...I was able to get sound check passes for a couple of my staff members who were fans).  I was always able to get the most recent information out to the fans.  It was the best run fansite out there for a good little while.
 
After the Britney tour (O-Town opened), I started working for Fox Searchlight/Antwone Fisher Productions.  I got very busy, and I also started got back together with a person who I had wanted to rekindle a romance with for sometime.  I was also still running my choir.  I didn't have the luxury of working on my site from my computer like I did at my old job, nor did I have the luxury of taking time off because I was working hourly with no benefits on the "Antwone Fisher" movie (yes, the one directed and produced by Denzel Washington...watch the credits, I'm in them!).   Basically, I just didn't have time to be as vigilant as I used to be of O-Town news.   I was jumping from one project to the next after Antwone Fisher, my dating life was souring, and and frankly, O-Town just wasn't important anymore. 
 
Then 3 girls from my staff got possesive and obsessive.  I'm sure they would hate to know that I said that, but right now...they're STILL running their site AND still pursuing O-Town members as if the band were still together.  It did not end well, and on the goodbyes on my site, they wanted to say "From the ashes of Destination O-Town rises the pheonix..." I said HELL NO and asked that they not make it seem like this was some boy band cult and act like this is the thing that it was:  A FAN SITE, not an obsession.
 
Then I closed Destination O-Town.  It was over.
 
So Jacob Underwood is a member of O-Town, and he is from San Diego.  My favorite member was Ashley Angel, and he lives in LA right now.  There's also Trevor Pennick, Dan Miller, and Erik Michael Estrada (no relation to the CHIPS guy...so we think...). 
 
Jacob has a band.  It's called Jacob's Loc.  They have performed several times in San Diego, and last night was one of those times.
 
With this build up, you would think that I saw them.
 
Well, I didn't.  Haha.
 
I was supposed to see them tonight, but my friends in LA had suffered a family tragedy, and cannot go with me to the show in Santa Monica.  I'm not stressed.  But we were looking forward to seeing the faces of the gals who still run their site and see their reaction to my attendance.   I would have gone to last night's show at The Casbah, but I got wind that those ladies were going and I didn't want to see them and ruin my evening. 
  
Did that sound harsh?  I guess I just basically don't have time to deal with trivialities.  I'd like to have a descent conversation with them, but I know that the only way for them to not act like the high school drama queens is if I mentioned that my father passed away this year.  THAT would stop them in their tracks and hopefully they would realize that I really don't care about anything that was in the past and all the things that went along with trying to run my old website.  That was a different life, this is a whole new one.

   
 




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?