<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Ok kiddies, Auntie Sigh has a little story to tell you all, and I know you have been waiting patiently, so here it goes!

HOW I GOT MY TATTOO

Yes, it's true boys and girls, I've got a tat and it's AWESOME! It's so simple, but meaningful and I LOVE it. I was supposed to get it on Friday night, but I got to Vegas later than expected, so my UNLV buddy and I went on Sunday night late (930pm or so), then we got on the road by 1130pm.

Ok, truth be told, I did have a Vicodin pill about a half hour before I got the tattoo. I had to...that shit was PAINFUL. I'm so glad UNLV (that's what we'll call him, lol) was there because I don't think I could have done it. It's always good to have moral support, and I'll admit I'm somewhat squemish when it comes to certain things, but I try to be fearless. So by the time I got into the chair, the pill kicked in, and it went better than expected.

(By the way, boys and girls, Auntie Sigh in no way condones the use of prescription drugs for recreational purposes...but if you are able to get a hold of a Vicodin tablet before getting a tattoo, I highly recommend it!

Oh, and please refrain from the wanton use of profanity. Only use when appropriate, and I think you'll agree that the use of profanity when expressing pain or discomfort during the tattoo process is extremely appropriate, and I feel necessary. Thank you for understanding!)

The tattoo artist's name is Johnny and I got it done at Sin City Tattoo.

The first prick was extremely painful, and I think I let out a yelp (more like, "WHAT THE FUCK!?" Appropriate, no?). UNLV said to me later that he thought I was gonna bitch the whole thing and leave, but I couldn't do that. He had to do some major schedule manipulation and left many messages convincing Johnny the tattoo guy to come in before his scheduled clock in time, so he didn't want me to just get up and go....especially since I couldn't make it in time for the 9pm appoinment on Friday night.

Here's a good example of how it feels: A co-worker described it like someone was constantly scratching at a really sore sunburn. I guess I would say that it was like an intense form of "the pricklies" when your hand or foot falls asleep and you try to shake it off. It's like someone concentrated that feeling and pressed it up against the areas where you want the tattoo. After awhile, it's irritating more than painful because it becomes numb.

After the first 5 minutes of talking myself into staying seated went by, I figured out that the most painful parts were where the needle hit the spine, and where Johnny was filling in the letters (the letters are blocked, so it requires filling in the letters and the needle stays on that area longer than just an outline). When I figured out that was the greatest level of pain, then everything else was much more tolerable.

But honestly, if UNLV had not given me that Vicodin I would have been crying...no wait, I would have been sobbing. I was tearing, but never cried. I was nervous, but I was mostly quiet because I kept trying to keep myself relaxed. Once I could stand the constant pricking, then I just leaned forward into the chair and suddenly it was less painful than I had psyched myself out for it to be.

(I was sitting on a bar stool, and was leaning on the back of another bar stool so that I could slump over and Johnny could sit in a regular chair to work on my lower back.)

The funny thing was once I was finished convincing myself that I could do this, it was already over. A whole hour went by, and I seriously thought it was about 20 minutes. It was sore when Johnny was finished, and he actually showed it off a little to another artist who came in because it was so basic (it's only black and grey, no color). He even said that it reminded him of tattoos his grandfather had.

The only uncomfortable moment that happened was when Johnny tattoo guy's "girlfriend" and fan club were there. He invited them to take a looksie, which was weird. I don't mind if my UNLV buddy or the other tattoo artists decide to take a look...but listening to random chicks arguing with my tattoo guy about why he didn't call her back WHILE he's holding a sharp motorized needle gun full of ink to my back? Not fun.

Ok, here's a link on what it generally looks like. I'll post a picture of the actual tattoo later. But just imagine it without the chain/rope detail and with the initials "RAG" instead of "USN" (and uh, DUH...it's only ONE of the anchors).

View the tattoo!

Ok boys and girls, story time is over for today. I hope you enjoyed the story of "How I Got My Tattoo". Come back soon, ok buh-bye!

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?