<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 19, 2004

I was talking on the phone to a friend the other day, and she said that she started a blog where she typed thank yous. It could be a thank you to anyone or anything. I thought that was a great idea.

There are days in which we all get caught up in the hustle and bustle and forget to say a thanks for what we have. I'm sure pessimists out there will dismiss this as a cheesy attempt at being overly positive, but how many of us really do it? How many of us really sit down and say, "wow...I'm so grateful for: (fill in blank)"? I know I don't. Well, I don't want to say that I don't...but I haven't in awhile. I haven't really thought about it until she brought it up.

So here are a few things that I'm thankful for:

My spirituality

I have a strong sense of God and His role in my life. I pray every night, and I know my Lord will guide me in right paths. I understand that He would not burden me unnecessarily, and I derive strength from Him.

My family

I am thankful for the strong foundation my mother and father have built for us. By foundation, I mean moral as well as financial and spiritual as well as educational. My parents also reminded us that as long as you work hard to maintain a good foundation, then the recreational part of life that is to be enjoyed in abundance will follow easily and naturally. My mother has been the perfect nurturer. Despite our many disagreements, I wouldn't be who I am without her. The same applies to my father, and although my father is no longer with us physicially, his wisdom lives in us eternally.

I have to add a special section for my sister. She is the one friend that I can look at in a glance, and speak volumes without words. I can cry with her, get angry at her and with her, and laugh at and with her. She is my heart.

Then there is my extended family consisting of relatives who have really shined in this time of need. I was already feeling a sense of closeness to them as I got older, but now I feel the strength that blood ties really have.

My friends

My friends complete the circle of who I am. You would think that I would say that about a husband or boyfriend, but I have neither. Even though that is the case at the moment, whoever I do end up with will also be a part of this category.

My friends encourage me, or even discourage me when the moment calls for it. They've seen me at my best and worst. My friends have so many similarities, but come from so many different backgrounds that I get a good feel for their different opinions and perspectives. They allow me to escape, but ground me when appropriate. They are a part of me, and I hope they feel the same about me.

Ok, that's what I can think of right now. I know there is tons more I'm thankful for, and maybe I'll take note from my friend and think of a little bit each day...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?